The History of Orange Hall
Before the turn of the century, the Twelfth of July was "The Big Day" of summer for most of the province, including residents of Almaguin. It was not an official holiday, but when all the Orangemen took time off for their annual celebration, not enough workers were left to run the mills and businesses. So a holiday it became.
The fraternity began as a secret society instituted in Ireland in 1875, to uphold Protestant control of government and oppose the Catholic religion and influence. Its membership was to reach far into the new world and well into the 19th century. Almost every town and hamlet boasted an Orange Hall in those days, a building which served as the focal point of the community. Council meetings were held in the Orange Hall, as well as concerts and dances and box socials.