Complete Municipal Tandem Snow-Plough Cab and Chassis including U-shaped spreader/dump body, etc.
Request for Proposal
Date of Issue: Monday, January 30th, 2017
Proposal Submission Deadline: Friday, March 3rd , 2017
Section 1 Introduction and General Instructions
The Municipality of Magnetawan is inviting proposals for the supply of one (1) Municipal Tandem Snow Plough unit including Cab and chassis, U-shaped spreader/dump body, Plough and wing that complies with the basic minimum specifications indicated elsewhere in this document. The successful proponent shall supply a ‘turn-key’ operational plough, spreader dump truck within 180 calendar days of awarding.
This Request for Proposals document (and any other applicable attachments or addenda) is available in PDF format through the Municipality of Magnetawan’s website at http://www.magnetawan.com/index.php/municipal-office/requests-for-proposals
Magnetawan’s Procurement Policy is available for review at the Municipal Office
1.02 Submission of Proposals
Proposals shall be submitted in the form and format specified in this section and Section 3 and shall include the completed Form of Proposal included as Section 4 at the end of this document as well as documentation substantiating specifications and warranties. A designated signing officer authorized to bind the Bidder/Proponent to the provisions of their Proposal must sign the Form of Proposal. Any addenda issued by the Municipality of Magnetawan in accordance with Subsection 1.06 must be acknowledged by the Bidder/Proponent on the Form of Proposal.
Each Bidder is asked to submit one (1) set of the Proposal. All Proposals must be signed, sealed, the envelope marked with the Bidder’s name and the Project Name, and received by:
The Municipality of Magnetawan
PO Box 70, 4304 Hwy 520
Project Name: RFP Municipal Tandem Snow-Plough
Proposals must be received no later than 3:30 p.m., local time, on Friday, March 3rd, 2017
Proposals must not be restricted by a statement added to the Form of Proposal or by a covering letter, or by alterations to the Form of Proposal supplied unless otherwise provided in the RFP.
The onus unequivocally remains with the Bidder/Proponent to ensure that the Municipality of Magnetawan receives Proposals delivered or sent by courier prior to the Proposal Submission Deadline, in accordance with the submission process described in this section. Proposals received after the Proposal Submission Deadline will not be considered and will be returned unopened. Faxed or electronic submissions will not be accepted in response to this RFP.
All questions or inquiries must be made in writing or email to the Lead Contact named below, by no later than 3:30 p.m. on Friday, February 24th , 2017:
Superintendent of Public Works
PO Box 70, 4304 Hwy 520
IMPORTANT: A Bidder may be disqualified if they make inquiries, between the Proposal issue date and the notification of the Award, in a manner other than that described in this RFP or to anyone involved in the process who is not the Lead Contact, including but not limited to the members of Council. This is to ensure that each Bidder receives the same information and that no Bidder receives unfair treatment during the RFP process.
The schedule set out herein represents the Municipality of Magnetawan’s best estimate of the schedule that will be followed, and it is intended to be a guideline.
The approximate schedule is as follows:
RFP issue date
Monday, January 30th 2017
Deadline for submission of questions
(see Section 1.05)
Friday, February 24th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Addenda posted on Municipality website
(see Section 1.06)
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017
Proposal Submission Deadline
(see Section 1.02)
Friday, March 3rd, 2017 at 3:30pm
Notification of Award (Earliest)
by the Municipality of Magnetawan
Wednesday March 8th, 2017
1.05 Required Review and Clarification
Bidders shall carefully review this RFP. If questions concerning clarification of the contents of this document arise, the questions must be made in writing and received by the Lead Contact by 3:30 p.m. on Friday February 24th, 2017. This will allow time for the issuance of any necessary addenda. Protests based on any omission or error or on the content of the RFP will be disallowed if these perceived faults have not been brought to the attention of the Lead Contact.
In submitting a Proposal, the Bidder/Proponent acknowledges that they have read, completely understood, and accepted the terms and conditions of the RFP in full. The Municipality of Magnetawan is not responsible for any misunderstanding of the RFP.
1.06 Amendments to the RFP
The Municipality of Magnetawan may issue addenda to clarify and/or modify certain aspects of the RFP prior to the Proposal Submission Deadline. Addenda shall be posted by Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 to http://www.magnetawan.com/index.php/municipal-office/requests-for-proposals and shall be available in the Municipal Office.
1.07 Opening of Proposals
There will be no formal opening of proposals. Typically, a Request for Proposals is evaluated on a more comprehensive set of criteria than a Tender. As such, the contract will not be awarded at the opening, but only after the Evaluation Committee has examined all Proposals in detail and presented their recommendation to Council. Bidders/Proponents will be notified of the date for the Council meeting at which the Award will be decided, and they are welcome to attend or will be notified by the Lead Contact.
1.08 Reserved Rights of the Municipality of Magnetawan
The Municipality of Magnetawan reserves the right to:
- make public the names of any or all Bidders and their quoted price;
- request written clarification or the submission of supplementary written information in relation to the clarification request from any Bidder and incorporate a Bidder’s response to that request for clarification into the Bidder’s Proposal;
- adjust a Bidder’s scoring or reject a Bidder’s Proposal on the basis of
i) a financial analysis;
ii) information provided by references;
iii) the Bidder’s past performance on previous contracts awarded by the Municipality of Magnetawan;
iv) the information provided by a Bidder pursuant to the Municipality of Magnetawan exercising its clarification rights under this RFP process; or
v) other relevant information that arises during the RFP process;
- verify with any Bidder or with a third party any information set out in a Proposal;
- check references other than those provided by any Bidder;
- disqualify any Bidder whose Proposal contains misrepresentations or any other inaccurate or misleading information, or any qualifications;
- disqualify any Bidder or the Proposal of any Bidder who has engaged in conduct prohibited by this RFP;
- make changes, including substantial changes, to this RFP provided that those changes are issued by way of addenda in the manner set out in this RFP;
- select the Bidder other than the Bidder whose Proposal reflects the lowest cost to the Municipality of Magnetawan or the highest overall score;
- cancel this RFP process at any stage;
- cancel this RFP process at any stage and issue a new RFP for the same or similar deliverables;
- accept or reject any or all Proposals in whole or in part;
- discuss with any Bidder different or additional terms to those contemplated in this RFP or in any Bidder’s Proposal;
- if a single Proposal is received, reject the Proposal of the sole Bidder and cancel this RFP process or enter into direct negotiations with the sole Bidder.
These reserved rights are in addition to any other expressed rights or any other rights which may be implied in the circumstances.
1.09 Not Responsible for Costs
The Municipality of Magnetawan shall not pay any costs associated with the preparation, submission, or presentation of the Bidder’s Proposal. The Municipality of Magnetawan shall not be liable for any expenses, costs or losses suffered by the Bidder or any third party resulting from the Municipality of Magnetawan exercising any of its expressed or implied rights under this RFP.
1.10 Proposal Expiry Date
Bidders hereby acknowledge that their Proposals shall be irrevocable for a period of 60 days from the Proposal submission deadline. Extensions to this period may be granted with the mutual agreement of the Municipality of Magnetawan and the successful Bidder and may be initiated by either party.
1.11 Confidentiality and Ownership
Any information provided to the Bidder by the Municipality of Magnetawan before, during or after the project is completed shall be treated as confidential and shall not be used or communicated by the Bidder or any third party in any way unless otherwise identified or permitted by the Municipality of Magnetawan. The information, reports, documentation, plans, etc. that are produced by the successful Bidder in response to this project shall become the exclusive property of the Municipality of Magnetawan. However, intellectual property, such as specific tools, templates, processes, etc. that the Bidder provides as part of the deliverables remains the property of the Bidder.
The Bidder shall provide a single invoice for payment in full to the Municipality of Magnetawan upon delivery of the selected unit. Invoices shall clearly state what has been supplied with a description of the unit. It should be noted that the Municipality of Magnetawan’s standard terms of payment are net 30 calendar days from the date of invoice.
1.13 Freedom of Information
Any personal information required in the Proposal is received under the authority of the Municipality of Magnetawan. This information shall be an integral component of the submission. All written Proposals received by the Municipality of Magnetawan become a public record. Once a Proposal is accepted by the Municipality of Magnetawan and the contract has been awarded, all information contained in the Proposals may be available to the public, including personal information. Questions about the collection of personal information and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 1989, R.S.O. 1990, as amended may be directed to the Lead Contact.
1.14 Additional Requirements
(a) The successful Bidder shall ensure that all services and products provided in respect to this proposal are done so in accordance with and under the authorization of all applicable authorities, municipal, provincial, and/or federal legislation.
Section 2 Minimum General Specifications & Requirements
The successful Proponent / Bidder shall supply one (1) Municipal tandem cab & chassis, U-shaped spreader/dump body, one-way snow plow and side-wing, all mechanical, hydraulic and electrical systems required to operate the plough, wing and spreader. The unit as a whole must be designed for Canadian rural winter service on mostly gravel roads. The following general specifications are meant to be a guideline for the proposal.
- Engine: Detroit or Cummins diesels are preferred options, but others are considered.
- Engine: shall develop not less than 450H.P., 1,650lb/ft torque
- The plough-truck unit shall be capable of not less than 65MPH (105km/h) road speed.
- General minimum design loads are: Front axle, 22,000lbs., rear drive axles, 46,000lbs., expected approx. GVW capacity, 68,000lbs. Approx. Gross comb. Wt. 80,000lbs.
- Transmission: 13 forward speed, manual shift.
- The U-shaped spreader/dump body shall have a capacity of not less than 12 cubic yards.
- The U-shaped body shall be the heated type.
- U-shaped body,plough and wing: Everest and Viking-Cives are preferred options but all are considered.
- Pre-wetting tanks or any liquid tanks are not required.
- Control for aggregate spreader: Dickey-John Control Point, conveyer feedback via 100 pulse motor sensor is the preference.
The general snow-plough equipment specifications are as follows;
- The one-way plough must clear a path of 9 feet (2.7m), while set at an horizontal angle of 35 to 37 degrees.
- The one-way plough shall discharge snow to the passenger side of the unit.
- The one-way plough tilt-harness must be compliant with MTO Standard ES-401.
- Preferred plough Models are Everest-Alliston OWSK9-CT or Viking-Cives(USA) 2654HSE-9, but others are will be considered. Bidder to provide specifications.
- Height of the moldboard at the inlet end shall be 26” (660mm) and the height at the discharge end shall be 54” (1370mm).
The proponent vendor is expected to provide a full set of specifications, for each component system (including hydraulics), in their proposal. Although price is of significance, the proponent vendors are encouraged to put forward a good quality package. The Municipality is looking for durability as well as value. The fore-going are minimum guidelines only, however, any significant dimensional change should be high-lighted for consideration.
The proponent vendor shall have a licensed service facility within a reasonable distance from Magnetawan for the provision of major maintenance service and/or repair.
The delivery of the proposed unit to the Municipality of Magnetawan shall not be later than one hundred and eighty calendar days after award by Council.
2.1 Penalty Clause
The Municipality of Magnetawan expects the successful proponent to deliver a fully functional, ‘turn-key’ plough truck unit within the one-hundred and eighty (180) calendar days from the date of award. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a penalty being imposed by the Municipality in the amount of two-hundred dollars ($200.00) per day commencing on the one-hundred and eighty-first (181st) day, ie. the first late day.
Section 3 Evaluation of the Proposals
3.01 Evaluation Criteria, Process and Award
As part of the evaluation process, the Municipality of Magnetawan may contact one or more Bidders to clarify or obtain more information about their Proposal or to request the Bidder to exhibit or otherwise demonstrate the information contained therein. The purpose of these discussions will be to ensure full understanding of the requirements of the RFP and Proposal. Discussions will be limited to specific sections of the RFP identified by the evaluation committee. The Lead Contact will only hold discussions with Bidders who have submitted a proposal deemed to be reasonably acceptable for Award.
The Municipality of Magnetawan may make an Award on the basis of the Proposals received without further discussion with the Bidders. Therefore, each initial offer should contain the Bidder’s best terms/information, including all required documentation as listed in this RFP.
The evaluation committee will recommend Award to Council for the Bidder achieving the highest combined score based on the rated criteria in 3.02 below.
3.02 Maximum Evaluation Points Summary
Specifications & Quality 40 points
- Demonstration and documentation proving that the proposed vehicle meets or exceeds the minimum specifications, (data spec sheets, photographs). Evidence of a durable high quality package.
Price & Delivery 30 points
- Demonstration and documentation that the proposed unit is priced within reason when quality is considered and that the unit can be delivered within the six month time window.
Vendor’s Background, Experience, and References 10 points
- The Bidder’s experience in heavy truck sales and service, and business references.
Breakdown of Costs 10 points
- Breakdown of costs, line items are complete and reasonable
Distance to Service Facility
- Distance in kilometres to proponents licensed service facility. 10 points
Maximum Points Available 100 points
The successful Bidder shall be notified of the Award in writing to the address given on the Form of Proposal, and/or may be contacted verbally or electronically by the Lead Contact.
Section 4 Form of Proposal
I/We, the Undersigned, having examined this Request For Proposals, do hereby offer to enter into an Agreement with the Municipality of Magnetawan to provide a Municipal Snow Plough unit, under the terms as included.
Dated at ____________________________this _______________ day of ___________________, 2015.
CITY PROVINCE POSTAL CODE
TELEPHONE NO. FACSIMILE NO. E-MAIL ADDRESS
Receipt of any issued addenda shall be acknowledged by initialing in the space provided below.
Addendum No. 1 ___ Addendum No. 2 __ __ Addendum No. 3 _ ___
Signature in the designated space, by an authorized officer of the Bidder’s company affirms acceptance of the Request for Proposal requirements set forth in this document, the associated costs attributed to the business arrangement between the Bidder and the Municipality of Magnetawan, and hereby certifies that the information supplied in this proposal to be true and complete in all respects.
The following required information may be forwarded on the Vendor’s forms and should include all manufacturers specifications and submitted with the overall sealed package. However, the information requested below, specifically, should be clearly presented,easily understood, and easy to find.
Distance from Municipality of Magnetawan to Service facility: _____________________km
Location of Service facility:
Price: $_________________________(HST not included)
Other relevant information/specifications:
Lead Contact: Bruce Hill
Superintendent of Public Works
ADDENDUM No. 1
Question: What is the required colour of the cab?
The colour code for Magnetawan plough trucks is:
CAB COLOUR A: L0762EB N/C MED RED ELITE BC