NIPISSING & PARRY SOUND, ON – As a result of the recall on various frozen mango products associated with a possible Hepatitis A contamination, the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (Health Unit) is offering eligible individuals a free Hepatitis A vaccine. The recall has been issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), and includes the following products:
• Two-kilogram bags of Nature’s Touch frozen mangoes with a best before date of November 9, 2022 (UPC 873668001807);
• 600-gram packages of Compliments Mango Mania with best before dates of November 10, 2022, and December 18, 2022 (UPC 055742504309);
• 600-gram packages of Irresistibles Mango Chunks, with a best before date of November 10, 2022 (UPC 059749876001); and,
• 600-gram packages of President’s Choice Mango Chunks with best before dates of November 6, 2022, and November 10, 2022 (UPC 060383993870).
If you have purchased one of the above products, throw it out. If you have eaten one of these products in the past 14 days and have not previously been vaccinated against Hepatitis A, it is recommended that you receive the vaccination as soon as possible. To speak to a Public Health Nurse about Hepatitis A and to determine if you need a vaccination, call the Health Unit at 1-800-563-2808, ext. 5229.
“It is important that anyone who may have eaten these recalled products gets vaccinated for Hepatitis A, monitors for signs and symptoms, and seeks medical attention if needed,” highlights Dr. Carol Zimbalatti, Public Health Physician. “If individuals have any questions or concerns, I encourage them to contact our Communicable Disease Control staff who can help.”
Hepatitis A symptoms include:
• sudden onset of fever;
• loss of appetite;
• nausea and/or vomiting;
• abdominal pain;
• dark urine;
• clay-coloured stool;
• itchiness, tiredness, and not feeling well. This is usually followed by jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes).
For more information on Hepatitis A, visit www.myhealthunit.ca/HepA.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK HERE