Information on Work Permits for Shorelines


With the warmer weather comes the opportunity to start work on your property and shorelines. But, before you begin, it’s important to obtain the necessary work permits in order to avoid potential fines.

By law, you must get a work permit from the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry (NDMNRF) for certain activities on Crown land and shore lands before any work can take place. Permits help ensure that activities include considerations for the environment, other users, and neighbouring landowners. 

For more information on what work requires a permit and how to apply please visit the Natural Resources Information Portal at The portal is a one stop shop for Lands and Waters information and includes information and forms for making work permit applications.

Want to know where to find Crown land? Visit the Crown land use policy atlas map viewer to locate Crown land and the policies outlining what activities may be permitted on it:

Need to make a topographic map for your next outdoor adventure or to support your work permit application? Visit:

The best way to report potential resource abuse or a public lands violations is to call NDMNRF TIPS line – 1-877-847-7667.

Information about fish and wildlife and natural resource management can be found on the NDMNRF's website at but we are happy to address specific questions you may have.