Planning & Zoning

The Municipality of Magnetawan  is committed  to managing our land and resources through responsible growth and development while considering important environmental, social and economic concerns. This page is designed to help you find the information you need.

Staff is happy to provide general guidance.  If you require more in-depth information about a property, you can purchase a Property Information Report which will provide zoning/building information as well as answer general questions.  In some cases, our Planners may be able to provide an opinion and the fee will be determined by the extent of the request.

A Consent Application is needed if you would like to create a new lot, do a boundary adjustment and/or  create or change a right of way.  

After you have reviewed the Zoning Bylaw and Official Plan to see what is permissible to do with your property, download the Application for Consent and forward to the Municipality via email, snail mail or drop off with the applicable fees.  Your application will be forwarded to the Planners who will review the application and prepare a report for Council. 

At a public Council meeting, Council will review the application and will vote on whether or not to support the application and what conditions need to be met prior to consent being granted.  If Council passes a Support in Principle, your next step is to go the  Central Almaguin Planning Board (CAPB) who will process your application and hold a public meeting and render a decision. The Secretary – Treasurer, Susan L. Arnold of CAPB can be contacted on Wednesdays at or (705) 386-2573.


Application for Consent



The Municipality's Comprehensive Zoning By-law identifies the different land use zones with detailed maps and  provides information on permitted uses as well as:

  •     How land may be used
  •     Where buildings and other structures can be located.
  •     The types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used.
  •     Lot sizes, dimensions, setbacks, etc.

Construction or new development that does not comply with a Zoning By-Law is not permitted.  

Zoning By-law

Official Plan:

The Municipality's Official Plan is a blueprint for the Municipality.  It guides all of the Magnetawan's planning decisions - all development must conform with the Plan. 

Magnetawan Official Plan Adopted







To view the Municipality’s interactive map (including zoning) please click the link below:
Municipality of Magnetawan Mapping

If you wish to develop your lands and discover that you are not in compliance with either the Zoning By-law or Official Plan, you can make an application for an amendment to either Plan.  

Applications (check our Current Fees & Bylaws for Fees/Deposits required)

Magnetawan Application Minor Variance

File Size
3.2 MB

Magnetawan-Application-Zoning-By-law-Amendment Update

File Size
209.8 KB
Get In Touch